Thursday 8 February 2018

Your House (after Ch’ang-Kan Village Song – Li Po)

Your House                   (after Ch’ang-Kan Village Song – Li Po)


My mother cut my hair:
A see-saw forehead, and

you laughed saying we
looked like brothers

that day when I was ten and
knocked on your door to visit.

Intrigued by your parent’s blue carpets
and photos of drunken parties

I wanted to stay and play
as long as I could.

I loved the warm lounge
with the daschunds sunbathing,

the silence your parents work brought
leaving us alone together,

stalking the house
trying to catch monsters

and skinny-dipping -
excited but not knowing

why our bodies tingled to touch.
I spent all my time with you

hoping you would say
Shall we swim again?

Then, years later, as we grew up
having entered the world,

you to Dublin,
and I to London,

we caught up in breaks -
typing eating lunches.


And through our online times
I missed you more than a friend should.

I wanted to hold you
tight in the dark night,

but you have your own someone
to swim with now.

Meet me. We’ll talk and remember,
but I’ll go no further than the Welsh ferry port.

No comments:

Post a Comment